Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Contrary to popular belief, I have not dropped off the face of the earth. :) And I'm probably not so busy that I can't find time to post to this blog. I guess I've just had trouble lately coming up with anything interesting to write about. I'm working a lot during the week, but it's pretty enjoyable. I signed up for Netflix recently, so I have plenty of movies to keep me occupied when I want to procrastinate from doing housework. Which is quite often.

I just finished reading a book- a memoir by Lillian Ross. It was called Here But Not Here, and it's about Ross's long-term relationship with William Shawn, a famous past editor of The New Yorker. I have mixed feelings about the book. Shawn was married to someone else when he met and fell in love with Ross, who was a writer for the magazine. And he never left his wife. He just had a mistress for more than 40 years. Ross, whose point of view the book expressed, said she didn't feel like a mistress, but like his real wife. He would often tell her that in his mind she was his real wife-- that was good enough for her. Yet he wouldn't leave his legal wife for her. I couldn't relate at all to Ross's way of thinking. I know I wouldn't have wasted my life on an already taken man. And the way Ross depicted him, Shawn came off like an eccentric old man. I couldn't understand why she loved him so much. Maybe Ross did a great job writing the book, and I was just alienated by the subject matter. But my feeling after finishing the book was that somehow it presented a very lopsided picture. I couldn't feel any sympathy or understanding for either character.

I hope the next book I read will be more interesting.

No comments: