Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Invincible I am not

I like to think of myself as invincible. At least as far as my health is concerned. Make that my physical health (my emotional health is another matter altogether). Anyway, I rarely get sick and I pride myself on being a relatively healthy person who rarely has to visit the doctor. I haven’t even gotten a cold or sinus infection in almost three years.

Well, last Monday I started to experience the plague that is post-nasal drip. Throughout the week, my symptoms grew to include a cough, a runny nose, stuffiness, and just an overall feeling of yuckiness. Two sick days and an entire weekend in bed later, and I still feel like crap. Yesterday I thought I had made a breakthrough toward getting better (I slept through the night and woke up feeling refreshed and unstuffy), but it turns out it was a fluke. Today I have a headache, a sore throat, and my cough has returned with a vengeance.

The worst part of all this is that I can’t afford to take any more sick days. For one thing, I’ve only had my job like five months, so I don’t have very many sick days to take. Plus, I have a major deadline coming up, and now is when I need to be doing the majority of the work for it.

So it turns out that I am not quite as invincible as I thought. And it comes at a most inopportune time, I might add. The only positive in all of this has been Sprocket. He isn’t worried that he might get sick if he hangs around me, so he’s been my constant companion over the last week. I can’t remember the last time we spent so much time together. Unfortunately, he can’t cook me dinner or go to the grocery store to pick up more orange juice. But he’s cute and cuddly, and that goes miles toward making me feel better.

No comments: