Thursday, July 17, 2008

Don't forget to feed me!

I think Sprocket is as obsessed with food as I am, if that is even possible. I love my cat very much, but I will admit that on several occasions, I have forgotten to feed him in my rush to get out the door in the morning. Mind you, this is not a recurring thing. I have maybe done this three or four times total the entire time I have had him. When you consider that I have had him for more than six years, that is not bad. And on several of those occasions I drove home at lunch and fed him because I remembered.

However, Sprocket has his own little way of making sure I don't forget him in the mornings. When I'm about to head down the stairs, he sits at the top of the stairwell and meows loudly several times. Then he takes each step with me and when I reach the bottom he runs straight to his food bowl, which usually still has a few morsels of food in it. He plays with the food to make it rattle in the bowl, then looks up at me again to see what I'm doing. If I am ignoring him, he will stay there and meow some more, or start eating some of the food just in case I start watching. He stays put until I get some more food for him out of the bag. The funniest part is that as soon as I fill his bowl he walks away from it and doesn't even bother eating any! He just wants to make sure I don't forget to feed him.

Man, I love that cat. I wish he could talk. I bet we'd have the most interesting conversations.

1 comment:

Doyle said...

One of my cats will meow incessantly just because he's waiting to get fed. However, all three of our furry indoor creatures know which room is their feeding room (we keep them separate so they don't eat each other's food). What's funny is to watch them when they think you're carrying food, and the look of confusion when it isn't where they expect it.