Sunday, January 17, 2010

A productive day

Today was one of those rare days when you wake up and have so much motivation and energy that you can't not be productive. It started this morning with a trip to CVS, where I purchased three 4-packs of Starbucks Frappucino (Husband drinks it, not me), a 12-pack of Mountain Dew, and a bag of pita chips, all for less than $3. Plus, I got $10 in "extra bucks" to spend on my next CVS purchase. I had some coupons I was able to use, so it turned out to be a very nice outing. I love it when I can get great deals on things. Perhaps that was what motivated me today?

Or perhaps it was the weather. It's been raining off and on since yesterday evening, but there were several patches of sun mixed in today. It was sunny when I got home from CVS, and not wanting to leave the warmth and beauty of the lovely climate, I decided to clean out my car with the garage door open, soaking up the warmth and sun while I found two-year-old coupons, receipts and sheets of Google directions from various trips. I really should clean my car out more often.

Once that was done, I started re-organizing my pantry, which was a very daunting task that took me most of the afternoon to complete. When you stockpile like I do, you run out of room very quickly. So most of my time was spent trying to maximize the space and make room for the 10 boxes of cereal bars and six boxes of cereal I got last week at Harris Teeter during their super doubles promotion (I actually made money by buying them!). I also had to check the expiration dates on everything, because when you have 10 boxes of pasta and 20 pounds of rice, something's bound to expire eventually. I gathered the few expired items together on a shelf (none are more than a month or two out of date) and we'll try to use those this week. I also gathered everything else that expires by May of this year, and we'll make it a priority to use those items first when we need a side dish or a dinner idea (lots of marinades, rice mixes and salad dressings). Now my pantry looks so much more organized and I can rest well knowing that nothing is expired. I did have to throw away a box of pancake mix that expired last July, though. That was kind of sad, but we determined that we shouldn't risk eating it since flour-based mixes like that can grow mold and become dangerous.

My favorite part of the day was the walk Husband and I went on early this afternoon. We managed to find a nice break in the rain and made our way around the trail in our subdivision. The weather was the best it's been since summer, and I was so excited! I hate winter and the cold that comes with it, so this was like a little blessing for me. It put me in a great mood and further added to my energy. We even threw in some short bursts of running into our walk as the first steps to getting ourselves more into shape.

We've also managed to wash most of the dishes and do two loads of laundry. I've got chicken tortilla soup cooking in the Crock Pot, and we'll eat that in the next hour or so. In a few minutes I think I might start tackling the mass of clothes strewn around the bedroom. But right now I'm sitting on the sofa with a Sprocket, and I'm content to take a break for a little while. Although now that I'm sitting down, I'm not sure if I want to get up again...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having another day off from work tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow will be another productive day!

No comments: