When I was 13 years old, I was much more concerned with boys and friends and trying to be popular to care about anybody or anything else in the world. Sheltered as I was, I'm not even sure I was aware that there was a world outside the small insular community in which I lived.
Did world hunger ever cross my mind? Probably not. And if it did, I obviously didn't care enough to do anything about it. The things I did care about seem selfish now, and right now I'm kicking myself for not being more aware of the world when I was that age.
What's the reason for this nostalgic look at my ignorance? A girl named Zoe Smith. She's only 13 years old, but she has raised more than $15,000 for Heifer International, a group working to end world hunger through sustainable agriculture. She makes jewelry- bracelets, rings, earrings- and then sells them to raise money for this cause. She's been doing it since 2007, and she spends almost every weekend selling her wares at craft fairs and markets and special events. Thanks to the help of the Capital Community Foundation in Raleigh, Zoe can also accept tax-deductible donations for her efforts.
This child is only 13, and she has done so much more than I've done, and I've lived almost two decades longer than she has. To say I feel pretty humbled is an understatement. Sure, I was involved with the Jaycees for a while, and we did several fund-raising projects for the Burn Center and a children's home, but it was hardly an individual effort. And I did organize a food drive at my office last fall, but that pales in comparison to this.
So I'd just like to say that I really admire Zoe for what she's doing, and I hope I can use her story to help inspire me to be a little more aware and a little more motivated to do something good for the world. Maybe she can do the same for you.
My favorite quote right now is this: "The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter; and in these, the spirit blooms..." (by George Santayana).
My thanks to Zoe for showing me a bit of the beauty, love and courage that's out there.
1 comment:
Amazing young lady. I, too, was more concerned with volleyball and friends. I think God is really calling on the hearts of children! Go Zoe!
Post a Comment