Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Things I Like About Cold Weather

Before I freeze to death from this insanely cold weather (seriously, why is it so freaking cold?), I thought I'd list five things about the winter months that I actually do like. Maybe this will help remind me that cold weather is not SO bad. Here they are, in no particular order:

  1. Hot chocolate. I'm not a huge fan of sweets, but I do like a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows melted all along the top. Mostly because it's a hot beverage and it doesn't taste like coffee (gross!). I love how it warms me up when I'm cold.
  2. Clementines. They are always in season during the winter, so the grocery stores have lots of them and they are often on sale. I love that clementines are so easy to peel and they have a sweet juicy taste. Best of all, no seeds! I could eat one (or more) every day.
  3. Sprocket in my lap. He is not a lap cat by nature, and you'd be hard-pressed to make him sit with me during the summer. But so far this season he's been cuddled up either beside me or on me every time I sit down on the sofa. It's very cute. And warm. He is really warm, like a living, breathing heater (I also like heaters, but they are one of my favorite things about every season because I pretty much sit in front of one every day, no matter the temperature outside).
  4. UNC basketball. It's my favorite sport, so I'm always glad when basketball season rolls around. Although the team hasn't been the best lately, it's still fun. Except when it's a really close game, because that stresses me out. I always get season tickets for men's basketball, although it's hard to make me trek through the cold to get to the game when I could much more easily sit on the sofa at home with the aforementioned cat on my lap and watch the game on TV.
  5. Christmas. I do like the holidays, even if they occur during cold weather. I love to pull out my collection of Grinch ornaments, figurines and other assorted collectibles and display them around the house. I love to look at them and remember when I got them and reminisce about all the Christmases that have come and gone. I'm kind of over the gift-giving and receiving aspect of Christmas (seriously, I don't need or want anything that I don't already have or would rather pick out myself!) but I do enjoy other aspects of the season.
Confession: I was going to list 10 things but I've hit a roadblock after just five and I can't think of anything else that I like about cold weather. I'm sure there are more things I could add, but my brain is too frozen right now for me to come up with them. So this list will have to be sufficient.

No comments: