Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The E-mail way out

As someone who is struggling with the job market right now, I'm finding a certain trend in the hiring process to be slightly alarming - sending a candidate rejection news via e-mail. So far it has happened to me twice, and it seems to me to be the easy way out. For both places, I took the time to drive to their office and give them several hours of my time. In one case I had to take an editing test. They could have at least paid me the courtesy of a phone call. Instead, they're doing what is easier for them. If you send an e-mail, you don't have to tell someone no. Of course, e-mail is slightly better than a letter, because it allows you to find out the news immediately. But still, I would appreciate it if people would tell me no directly. I deserve that.

In other news, there are absolutely NO new jobs for me to apply for. I interviewed this morning for a development communications position, and it seemed to go well. But I am afraid that the same thing will happen here that's happened everywhere else. Another candidate will have more experience, so that's who they'll hire. I, meanwhile, cannot get more experience if no one will give it to me. :( So far this master's degree is doing me not one iota of good.

No comments: