Today is my last day at my part-time job, a job I've had for a year and four months. My boss resigned almost a month ago, and things have been insane ever since. Out of the graciousness of my heart I stayed on staff, even though I was technically supposed to leave a month ago. But 've been pretty much left out of the loop on everything because I'm not permanent staff.
And so, today I leave this place. It will be nice to move on to a new place and have a fresh start. I'm pretty sure no one realizes that today is my last day, because it's also another staff member's last day. He's getting a luncheon and a cake-and-ice-cream party. Me? Well, I'm going to sit in my office and wrap up all the things I need to get done before heading into the sunset.
You know what's sad? The best going-away party I've ever had was for my very first job, the summer after my freshman year of college. I worked as a teller at a bank in my hometown for three months, and at the end of the summer they baked me a cake and gave me a mylar balloon (one of my favorite things) and the nicest stationery set I've ever owned. The card they gave me had some of the sweetest things that have ever been said about me. No other send-off has ever compared.
No comments:
Post a Comment