So since I'm getting married soon, I decided I should probably start learning to cook at least some foods. I'm sure Fiance would get tired of cereal after a while, and the only home-cooked meals I usually eat are at my friend Jen's house (she loves to cook and I love to eat so it works out perfectly). Unfortunately it would probably be kind of weird for a married couple to go and eat every meal at a friend's house, so I've decided to learn to cook a few things.
Last weekend I made chili. Not just any chili. Homemade chili that didn't even have a recipe! I winged it , and thought it turned out very yummy to have been cooked by someone who really didn't know what she was doing. So I am going to share my recipe with you. You can add and subtract items as you see fit, because, honestly there was no real method to my madness and I'm pretty sure shredded cheese and hot sauce can make almost anything taste good.
Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium-sized onion
3 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 can white kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
Chili powder
Ground cumin
Garlic powder
Begin by sauteeing chopped up onions and garlic in skillet with olive oil. Add ground beef and cook together until beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and place in medium-sized slow cooker. Add beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder and ground cumin (I just put a few shakes of each at first until I tasted it later and added more- salt is also good). Simmer on high for two hours. If it gets too thick, you can add a little water.
Top with shredded cheese and hot sauce, and enjoy!
For the record, three people consumed this meal and no one got sick afterwards. In fact, there wasn't even enough leftover for another meal. And I can assure you that it met my standards of food consumption- I would definitely eat it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment