Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I just finished coding what could have been the worst after-school special ever. It was the story of a boy with Down's Syndrome overcoming barriers to graduate from a mainstream high school, which is a fine storyline. But instead of getting someone who actually has Down's Syndrome to play the character's role, they had someone just pretend to be intellectually disabled. The kid did not look at all like he had Down's Syndrome, and his acting was very strained. Thank God it was only an hour long. I wonder if when the movie was made (probably early 1980s) it just wasn't appropriate to use actors who had Down's Syndrome. Last weekend I coded a movie from 1992 in which every character who had Down's Syndrome was played by someone who actually had it- it made it seem much more realistic.

I better get used to coding; it's practically all I'll be doing for the next week.

No comments: