Etched in my memory is an evening from more than three years ago. It was during the fall, probably around mid-October. I had worked that day at the weekly newspaper I was writing for, and when I got home I realized just how fall-like the day was. My roommate at the time, Crystal, had to work, so I was at our apartment alone. I remember opening all the windows so that I could hear the sound of dogs barking and children playing in the distance, and feel the cool autumn breeze roll through the house. The leaves had turned to browns and oranges, and I sat on the couch and looked out at them. Suddenly in a sentimental mood, I called an old high-school friend and we talked for ages.
I don't think of this often, but today it's been on my mind a lot. Mostly because today has been the spring equivalent of that fall evening, and I find that my spirits are much the same as they were way back when. The sun is shining brightly, the birds are singing loudly and whole-heartedly, and a slight breeze is setting off windchimes and bringing just the right amount of crispness to the air. I am rejuvenated, invigorated, and happy to be alive. I know the first day of spring was a few days ago, but today is my first day of spring. It is the beginning of something new-- something exciting, different, and wonderful.
I've been sitting out here on my patio for over an hour now, eating junk food, talking to my mom, and procrastinating from my abundant work (which is only the right thing to do). At this moment a bird is singing, and even though he's not doing it for me, it feels like he is. And how wonderful! A bumblebee just came to visit-- he's buzzing around my daffodils. That's the first bumblebee I've seen this year. Yep, spring is here, and not a moment too soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment