
Last night my friend Kelly and I went to a special screening of The Great Muppet Caper in Raleigh. As much as I love the Muppets, I had never seen one of their movies on the big screen (except for Muppets from Space, but that doesn't count as a real Muppet movie). In addition, I'd never actually watched a Muppet movie with someone other than ex-boyfriends I was trying to convince of the Muppets' extreme awesomeness (I know I succeeded in at least one case, but other boyfriends were not as sold on the idea).
The experience was a fun one. It was shown in its original 35mm format, so it had a cool vintage feel. For the first reel of the movie, there was a neon green line running down the side of the screen, but instead of detracting from the experience, it seemed to add to it. And eventually I didn't even notice anymore. It was also really cool to watch it with other people and see which parts they laughed at. It kind of gives you a fresh perspective on a movie you've seen at least a dozen times.
It was shown in an old theatre, so there was no stadium seating. I did have to endure looking over the head of one inconsiderate lady who sat in front of me, but other than that it was pretty cool. I'd definitely pay $5 to watch an old Muppet movie again.
In honor of this momentous occasion, I thought I'd include some of the best quotes from The Great Muppet Caper:
Gonzo: I'd like to try this without a balloon.
Kermit: Try what? Plummeting?
Gonzo: Yeah.
Kermit: I suppose you could try it once.
---
Kermit: What's wrong with the drummer? He looks a little crazed.
Zoot: Oh, he's just upset about missing the Rembrandt exhibit at the National Gallery.
Animal: Renoir!
---
Kermit: Piggy? Piggy, you're overacting.
Miss Piggy: What?
Kermit: You're overacting. You're hamming it up!
Miss Piggy: I am not! I am trying to save this movie.
Kermit: Yeah, well save your performance instead!
---
Gonzo: Gee, a lot of people worked on this movie!
Kermit: Oh, this is nothing. Wait 'til you see the end credits.
---
Kermit: We're going to catch those crooks red-handed.
Beauregard: What color are their hands now?
No comments:
Post a Comment