Today is my coworker Jean's last day working with me, and it makes me very sad. It's not like we were best friends or anything, but she's one of the few truly nice people around this place, and I appreciated her kindness and her belief in me. She thinks that one day I will write a bestselling novel, and it shames me to say that she apparently believes in me more than I believe in myself. In the last year and five months since I've been here, I've started to question whether I should even be in this field. It's nice to have at least one person who looks at my work and knows that I am still capable. If only there were more people like her around here. Instead, she's heading out the door to something bigger and better.
I hate change, especially when I get comfortable with things being a certain way. Jean was a fixture I enjoyed. She has three cats, so she can't be a bad person. :) She was always cheerful and kind, and you could wish her a good morning without worrying about repercussions (there are some people I cannot do that with). She was always willing to help me if I had a question (again, there are some people I cannot do that with). And she was intelligent and kind. But I don't blame her for leaving. In fact, I envy her. It's just that I have to put in more time here before I can move on to something else. And when the time comes for me to leave, I'll probably be as happy and cheerful as she is today.
No comments:
Post a Comment