His name was Andrew. And he was the first boy I ever liked. I thought about him the other day; I don't know why. We were in kindergarten together at a Catholic school(I bet you didn't know I used to go to Catholic school, huh?).
My best friend Meghan and I sat at a table by ourselves at the back of the classroom. Andrew sat at the table in front of us, and he used to scoot his chair back and talk to me. I think he was my boyfriend, but he, like many other memories, has been so clouded and confused through the years that sometimes I'm not even sure he really existed. But he did exist. His picture is in my yearbook to prove it (and he was a looker, too-- very cute dimples).
I was in kindergarten when I got my very first sticker book, something that is still one of my most prized possessions. I used to take it to school with me, and Andrew once gave me a cool picture of a zebra to put in it. That sticker is still there. There was another time, too, when Andrew had scooted his chair back and didn't have his desk to write on-- so he borrowed my sticker book to use as a makeshift desk. Even now, if you look at it from the right angle, you can still see the imprints of the alphabet letters he was practicing that day on the cover of that sticker book.
Andrew is my favorite memory from kindergarten. There are other random memories from that year-- watching The Neverending Story for the first time (and being scared to death), seeing a picture in my textbook of a kitten looking into a fishbowl, playing The Wizard of Oz at recess-- but he is my favorite.
It was the simplest relationship I've ever been in, and since I can't remember if and when we broke up, it's untainted. And he may be long gone, but I have my zebra sticker as an eternal reminder. I guess you could say he left a lasting impression on both me and my sticker book.
No comments:
Post a Comment