Yesterday I went to a Christmas party and we had a white elephant gift exchange. In some ways it was kind of like a real gift exchange, because most of the gifts were things people might really want. I had trouble at first picking out what I wanted to get, but I opted to look at toys because toys are one of my favorite things in the world. I ended up finding the coolest thing- a spirograph. I never had one when I was a kid, but it was the coolest thing! It was actually a dollar over our price limit, but I loved it so much that I just had to get it. And just so you know, I bought it with the full intention of stealing it for myself during the gift exchange. (The purpose of a white elephant gift exchange is to steal gifts from other people if you like what they have). At first, things seemed to be going my way. I drew a high number, so my turn came near the end. And for a while, nobody opened my gift. But then disaster struck. The lady who hosted the party let her son play, and when his turn came up, HE picked my gift. When he unwrapped it, he got so excited. After all, it was the perfect gift for a six-year-old boy (not a 26-year-old woman).
While I have been known to have a cruel streak, there are just some things I am not capable of doing. One of those things is taking a toy from a child. So when my turn came up, I opted instead to pick a gift that hadn't been opened yet. As luck would have it, I got a $5 Starbucks gift card. So I was satisfied. I was kind of bummed about the spirograph, however. If the kid hadn't gotten to it first, it likely would have been the "hot" item that everyone wanted.
So that's that story. In unrelated news, I think I am going to Target today. I also think this is a stupid idea. My good sense tells me to stay far away from a place that is sure to be extremely crowded, but there are some things on sale that I want to buy for Christmas presents. So wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment