I have never been a fan of large crowds, so how is it that I ended up at the State Fair on the day with the highest attendance ever? Well, for one thing I went on a Saturday. I should have learned long ago that attending the fair on Saturday is a bad idea. The weather was also gorgeous, and since Sunday’s weather forecast was pretty crappy, people probably figured they should go to the fair while the going was good. So I was one of the 145,461 people pushing and shoving their way around the fairgrounds Saturday.
It really wasn’t that bad. Mostly I just like to complain about things. It was already pretty crowded by the time I got there, but I headed for the animal exhibits, which were not quite as popular as some of the other fair offerings. I saw lots of cute little lambs, piglets and goats. In the poultry tent, I got to hold a sweet little duck who saw me as a welcome change from the fidgety little hands that had been holding him. He took the opportunity to take a nap in my hand. I don’t care how many baby ducks I get to hold (or raise) during the year, holding a duck is always my favorite part of the fair.
Other highlights included a corn dog, a funnel cake, a Sno-Kone and some really greasy fries. Gotta love the fair food!
No comments:
Post a Comment