Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My furry blessing

To be honest, Sprocket is sometimes a major annoyance when I'm trying to sleep at night. He doesn't like to sleep through the night and he doesn't think I should either. Many times I awaken to the sensation of 20 pounds of cat climbing over my stomach to either sniff my head or climb onto my nightstand and knock my lamp off. Inevitably I can't fall asleep again, so I have to kick him out of my room and then he sits outside the door and cries.

But last night he reminded me of why I let him sleep in my room in the first place. I woke up around 4 (on my own- he was asleep at the foot of the bed) and couldn't get back to sleep. I've been quite stressed lately and I couldn't stop worrying about all the stuff going on at work. So I was lying there with a huge knot in my stomach and I couldn't relax or even get comfortable. For once, Sprocket was content to sleep peacefully, so I had to physically wake him up to keep me company. Instead of getting mad or running out of the room in disgust, he embraced the opportunity to spend some time with me. He curled up beside me, purring away. He snuggled with me for at least an hour, as I stroked his fur and tried to calm down about all the stuff stressing me out. I didn't really sleep anymore, but I really appreciated having him there.

Tonight he'll probably be back to his old antics, but I have a feeling I'll be able to tolerate it a little bit more than usual.

No comments: