Companies really should be better about informing the public of food recalls. I knew that last week Castleberry's had several reported cases of botulism associated with some of their canned chili products, and I took the time to look them up and make sure neither I nor Boyfriend had any of the tainted cans. While Boyfriend had some canned chili, he was safe because it was Texas Pete. I didn't have any chili at all so I wasn't worried.
Last night when I got home I was hungry, so I opened a can of beef stew and heated it up for dinner. I packed the leftovers up and brought them to work with me today. It never occurred to me that the beef stew might have been threatened. About 10 minutes ago, I found out that Castleberry's expanded the recall over the weekend, and my beef stew is now on the list. They're recommending that instead of eating it, you double-bag the unopened can and dispose of it in the trash.
Oh well. Looks like I"ll be going out for lunch today. And I'm supposed to be on the lookout for symptoms such as general weakness, dizziness, double-vision, trouble with speaking or swallowing, difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation. Here's to hoping I don't get sick.
There are about a hundred different items on the recall list, ranging from chili to corned beef hash to beef stew, so you might want to make sure nothing in your pantry is affected.
No comments:
Post a Comment