In my old life, I drove to work every day. Now I take the bus, and that presents a problem because it leaves me with 20-some odd minutes in which I have nothing to do. A lot of people, based on my observations, read. I've decided to do something better than that: I've decided to read what other people are reading by looking over their shoulders.
Friday was a good day for learning from others. One book (a textbook) informed me that scientists have learned more about thinking processes by studying computers than studying actual human beings. I also learned that how baseball teams spend the money in their budget is more important than how much money they have to spend (which I kind of could have figured out for myself anyway). My favorite thing, though, was a quote I read: "Those whom the gods would destroy they first call promising." Cyril Connelly wrote that.
On an entirely un-bus related note, I am sitting in the graduate library beside a wall plaque that contains names of library donors, and there is an obvious error in it. It says, "In the spring of their senior year they established and endowment to support the library." Obviously it should be "an." I wonder if anyone's ever pointed it out. It would be pretty easy to correct. And the letters are like three inches tall, so it's pretty easy to spot. And kind of important that it be right, don't you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment