
One thing I have been fascinated with since becoming a diehard Carolina fan is our rivalries. During football season, it’s NC State. During basketball season, it’s Duke. Last year I had the opportunity to see the Carolina-Duke rivalry play out in the Dean Dome, but it was a little disappointing because we didn’t actually win.
I have always wanted to see Carolina and State face off on the football field, but I sort of thought it wasn’t in the cards for me. During my first year of grad school, a whole group of us got together to go to the game; but when we got there they weren’t letting any more students in (something about a fire code and a maximum capacity). So we all had to walk to Franklin Street and watch the game at a bar. Which was sad, because the game turned out to be awesome and we were all upset that we couldn’t be there for it.
Boyfriend is a big State fan, so that makes the rivalry that much more fun for me. We had planned to watch the big UNC-State game on TV this past weekend, since the game was sold out and neither of us had $100 lying around (which is pretty much what it costs for two people to go to a college game). But at the last minute, I found out that my boss had extra tickets that were mine for the taking if I wanted them. (Have I mentioned that I love my job?)
So Boyfriend and I hopped on a bus Saturday morning and joined the thousands of people who gathered in Kenan Stadium for the big football rivalry. We had to make a friendly wager, just to get in the spirit of things- the loser had to buy dinner for the winner. We were in the upper level, but we were on the 50-yard line, so it was quite nice. We had an awesome view of the game.
Carolina dominated, so that was nice for me. (I did feel a little bad for Boyfriend, but only a little.) It was cool to actually be there, to see the rivalry spill out into the crowd from the field. To feel the tension and the passion wrapped up in every call, every scored touchdown and field goal. And it was neat to see the crowd slowly spill out onto the field after the Carolina victory.
I tried to get Boyfriend to join me for the singing of the alma mater after the game, but he would have none of it. That’s OK. I still got my free dinner. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment