Thursday, November 09, 2006

Where have avocados been all my life?

It is no secret that I love food. Incidentally, I also had a very limited exposure to cool foods growing up. I was raised on a farm, so I ate mostly country cooking: fried chicken, fried steak, baked chicken, peas, snaps, corn, etc. I did fall in love with pizza and Italian food, but I can't say that I ever experienced other ethnic foods until I got to college.

First, it was Mexican food. I got my first taste of Mexican at Taco Bell, but the food at Los Arados (the Mexican place I frequented in college) was soooo much better. I loved so much about it: enchiladas, white cheese, salsa and chips, quesadillas. Sadly, though, I never tried guacamole. There was just something about a green pasty substance that didn't appeal to me.

I did start to eat Chinese food, but I never grew to love it like I now love Thai food. Granted, I do not go for the spicy stuff, so I am still a bit of a Thai newbie. I do love me some Pad Thai though, and there's another dish with noodles and a sweet sauce that I really like.

And sushi. I can't believe anybody ever got me to try the stuff, but now that I have I'm in love. Of course, I don't eat real sushi-- no raw fish for me. But I will happily eat California rolls and vegetable rolls all day long. My favorite, though, is the avocado roll. There's this cheap place on Franklin Street that I like- I can eat my fill of avocado rolls for under five dollars. There's nothing better.

Except, as it turns out, guacamole. My love for avocado rolls led me to try the yucky green stuff, and I discovered something amazing. It was good. Better than good. It was amazing. The sad part about all of this is that I wasted a decade or more of my life not eating guacamole because I didn't think I'd like it, only to find out now that it's one of the best things in the world.

You know what's weird? I'm not a huge fan of Italian food anymore. There's just so much other good stuff out there. I wonder what kind of food to try next...

1 comment:

Paul Elledge said...

Me too! I eat some every day.