Monday, March 26, 2007

Good News, Bad News

I always hate it when the news is full of bad things and good things at the same time. It makes it difficult to either be happy or sad without feeling a little bit guilty either way. Not that any of it personally affects me, but it still gets to me on a somewhat emotional level.

Today's news brings word that Jason Ray, a UNC student who portrayed Ramses, the school mascot, died early this morning. In case you hadn't heard, he was hit by a car on Friday while crossing a street before the Tar Heel's game on Friday night. He sustained major injuries and had been on life support. I never knew him, although I probably saw him a few times in character as Ramses. It kind of makes the whole March Madness bonanza seem a little less important.

Which makes me feel kind of guilty for being so excited for the Barton College Bulldogs, the team that won the NCAA Division II National Championship. Barton College is this tiny school of only about 1,000 students that is located in my hometown. I've visited the campus before, and temporarily considered going there for college (until I decided that it was a little too close to home for my liking). Today the basketball team is being celebrated as heroic, and Wilson (and Barton) has gained a lot of national attention for the win. They apparently overcame some great odds to get there. The winning shot was an at-the-buzzer layup by the team's star player. They defeated a previously undefeated team that had won last year's championship as well. It's being called this year's Cinderella story since no Division I teams have proven to be Cinderellas. So I'm really excited for them, and happy to see all the positive publicity my hometown is getting.

But at the same time, it's tempered with the knowledge that Jason Ray's family and friends are heartbroken today, grieving the loss of what reports say was an exceptional individual. When it comes down to it, life is a lot more important than a basketball championship.

No comments: