
I’m not sure exactly when this happened, but at some point in my youth I fell in love with mylar balloons. I can still remember the first one I ever got: a Happy Birthday balloon featuring
Garfield the cat. My second was a heart-shaped Valentine’s Day balloon with two bunny rabbits hugging—it said “Hugs and Kisses.” In elementary school, it was the popular thing to have your parents send you a bouquet of balloons for your birthday. I remember the one time my mom actually ordered a bouquet to send to me on my birthday. Except there was some sort of mix-up and they never arrived. I did get them that night when they were personally delivered to our house. All of my sadness at not having my friends see me get them melted away when I saw that beautiful mylar balloon.
The years went by and most of my friends got over their elementary balloon fascination. As for me, I think it has only grown with time. A birthday just isn’t a birthday unless I get a mylar balloon. When I was sick in January, Boyfriend brought me a Cat in the Hat balloon and it made me feel tons better. You should have seen me on Valentine’s Day when Boyfriend showed up at my door with a gigantic bouquet of mylar balloons (one is pictured above). I scattered them all throughout my house so I could enjoy them no matter what room I was in. It was one of the best presents I’ve ever received.
Today, I showed up at work to dozens of star-shaped mylar balloons in blue and silver—leftover decorations from a reception last night. There’s a bouquet of them sitting in my office right now. The rest are scattered around the lobby of our office. My coworkers have been making fun of me because of how excited I am about them, but as long as they let me keep some in my office I don’t care. In fact, I don’t mind if any of you make fun of me for how much I love mylar balloons—as long as you buy me one when my birthday rolls around!
No comments:
Post a Comment