Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I'm eating a fortune cookie right now (thanks to Tereca, who brought me a whole bag full of them the other day). I'll tell you what the fortune says in a minute; but it's a rule that you have to eat the entire cookie before looking at the fortune or else it won't come true. The cookie is crunchy, but a little burnt. OK, cookie's gone. Here we go: "Avoid taking unnecessary gambles." Sounds a little scary. Like if I do take an unnecessary gamble, something bad will happen. Definitely not one of my favorites.

I've been munching fortune cookies a lot in the last few days, and I have had some more interesting fortunes. Some bode well for my upcoming fellowship competition for grad school: "Get your mind set-- confidence will lead you on" and "Your determination will bring you much success." One hints at romance: "A secret romance is blooming. Go with it, despite your hesitation." (I have thought about this, and I see no way in which a secret romance could be blooming for me and am therefore not holding my breath for this one.) Another is optimistic: "A cheerful letter or message is on its way to you." One seems to almost directly conflict with the one I just got: "Accept the next proposition you hear." (But what if it's an unnecessary gamble?)

I promise that I am not obsessed with fortune cookies. Just extremely entertained by them.

No comments: