Up until about three years ago, I had never seen a shooting star. I don't know how I could have gone that many years without seeing one; maybe I just didn't bother to look at the night sky enough. The first time I saw one I wasn't even really sure I had seen it-- it all happened so fast.
Then in November of 2001, I experienced my first meteor shower- Leonid. Awaking at 3 a.m., my mom, dad, and I made our way to the back patio and started staring at the sky. There wasn't much at first, but as time went by the meteors started streaking through the sky like crazy. My neck got tired, so I lay down on a bench and kept my eyes fixed on the sky. My Rosie-cat jumped up and curled up on my stomach. It was one of those moments when you're surrounded by the things and people you love, and you realize how beautiful the world can be. Quiet, mysterious, yet blazing with fire and light.
Now there are tons of other star memories. Going with my dad to see shooting stars reflected in my Papa's pond. Standing outside of my apartment a year later at the same ungodly hour, looking for stars but meeting a curious deer instead. Convincing my friend Rach to go with me to the soccer field at 4 a.m. Freezing our butts off and exclaiming every time we saw a meteor shoot across the sky.
Now when I look up at the nighttime sky, I see those memories flash before me and wonder what memories will be made next. I stand in awe of the vastness and beauty of the universe. Taking the time to look up, no matter how cold it is or how much my neck hurts, is worth it. It reminds me of something I always seem to forget when I'm looking down.
No comments:
Post a Comment