Monday, February 16, 2004

This morning, Sprocket jumped into bed with me and kissed me on the cheek. I was awake already; Mama had come in my room a few minutes earlier to say goodbye before she left for work (I spent the weekend at my parents' house). She warned me that I might have company, but that company usually comes in the form of Rosie, my big fat gray home cat who is sweeter than any other cat in the whole world (yes, even Sprocket). Instead, a sweet-tempered Sprocket hopped onto my bed and walked up to me. Purring loudly, he nudged his face against my cheek and licked me three times. Then he climbed under the covers with me and curled up on my stomach. He never stopped purring, and I had to wonder if it was going to be one of those days when everything seems different. It's not that Sprocket isn't usually affectionate; he's just not that affectionate.

It was a sign of greater things to come. Upon returning from lunch (which I enjoyed with "C" and Sprocket), I decided to check my e-mail. By now I am used to seeing it pop up on the screen with the disappointing phrase "no new messages," so when I do get mail it is quite a pleasant surprise. Today I had an e-mail from a person who just happens to be the graduate program manager for the Journalism and Mass Communication program to which I recently applied. She wrote to inform me that I have been selected as a finalist for their fellowship program. I've been invited for an interview weekend, which will be held March 19-21. They're paying me mileage and putting me up in a hotel for the whole weekend. I'll be getting a complete packet in the mail this week.

Be advised, this doesn't necessarily mean that I've been accepted. It just means I'm being considered for admission, enough to warrant bringing me to town to meet them in person. The interview weekend seems rigorous and stressful, so I'll probably have to prep myself up for it big time. Right now I just want to focus on the fact that I have made it to the next step. I'm still in the game.

And so that is today. My waiting has paid off, to some extent at least. Somehow it makes this place a little more bearable.

P.S. If I do not get any comments on this post, I will be quite unhappy! So far I have permitted the ongoing silence of my readers (except Colonel Cornbread) despite my extensive efforts to install the comments software. Today, somebody better tell me congratulations or else! By the way, I hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for visiting my site! :)

No comments: