Thursday, March 06, 2008

Tragedy

If you've been keeping up with the news over the past day or so, you've probably heard that a UNC student was found shot to death yesterday morning near campus. At first they didn't know who she was, but today they identified her as Eve Carson, the student body president.

I don't know Eve personally, but she's been a prominent figure on campus for more than a year now. Everything I've ever heard about her has been positive, and she seemed to have everything going for her. She had been valedictorian of her high school, she was a Morehead-Cain scholar, Phi Beta Kappa....smart, beautiful, and apparently very nice. She was a pre-med major and wanted to be a doctor. Based on the successes she had already experienced, it looked like she was well on her way to success.

On Tuesday night she was doing schoolwork, and today she's dead-- brutally murdered in what authorities believe is a random attack. The whole thing has me shaken up. How could someone with such vast potential be taken in such a cruel, unnecessary way? Why, out of the thousands of students at UNC, did it have to be her? The one student people were most likely to know of, one of the most popular presences on campus.

All day I've been in a state of shock. It's just not fair. She was definitely going places, and probably would have accomplished more by the time she turned 25 than I will by the time I turn 50. It's just a horrible thing to experience so close to home. And she had no idea that her life was going to end so abruptly. I guess none of us know when the end will come, but for someone who seemed on the edge of greatness...

Anyway, I'm finding it hard to convey exactly what I'm feeling, but I am inclined to make sure everyone in my life knows how much they mean to me, and I feel like I should be living my life to the fullest because it can be over just like that. I just hope that they find out who did this to her-- the university and the community needs some sort of closure.

No comments: