Sunday, March 16, 2008

TV stardom!

OK, not really. But yesterday I was on TV on and off for a few hours. It's nothing glamorous; I was just answering phones for UNC-TV's pledge drive. They did live updates from the studio, and all the volunteers could be seen taking calls in the background. So if you happened to be watching UNC-TV yesterday afternoon, you may have seen me sitting at a computer with a headset on. Once they actually zoomed in on me, but I don't think that lasted too long. And at first I was in the background when one of the hosts was talking, but they put up some display brochures beside him and it ended up blocking me from view. I was relieved. It was a little unnerving to know you were on TV. Especially because we didn't get that many phone calls, so a lot of times when the camera came my way I felt obligated to pretend like I was on the phone.

Overall, it was a fun experience. I got to see the sets of some of the shows, and it was neat to watch all the people working behind the scenes- the cameras, cue cards, and whatnot. I took probably six or seven pledges, and our total group (I was with the Jaycees) probably helped take a couple of thousand dollars in pledges. One interesting thing-- the phones ringing in the background are actually just sound effects; so when they say the phones are ringing off the hook, etc., they're actually not. The actual ring on the phones sounded completely different.

The callers were really nice, too. Several of them thanked me for volunteering my time for UNC-TV. That made me feel appreciated. :)

No comments: