A few minutes ago, I caught my student writer looking in the dictionary. I beamed with pride. I am training her right. It was even more exciting than when I noticed she was editing her work prior to giving it to me. A few more months with me and this girl will either be brilliant or crazy.
The dictionary reminded me of my glory days of being copy editor of the school newspaper. I was in editor overdrive in those days. I carried my red, beaten and battered copy of the Merriam-Webster College Dictionary everywhere I went. It was a fixture in my backpack.
These days aren't much different, except I don't have an excuse to look at it nearly as much. I have a trusty copy on the shelf above my computer at work, and I have my personal copy in the backseat of my car. Yes, in my car. I thought about it, and this is the best way to make sure I have constant access to it. Where I am, my car is also. If I'm at home, it's just a few hundred feet away in my car. If I'm visiting a friend, same scenario. The key is convenience. I sleep better knowing that if I wake up in the middle of the night with a spelling question, I can find an answer.
Call me crazy, but the dictionary is almost like a friend to me. It ranks right up there with the Bible as one of the most amazing books in the world. Check it out sometime. You might learn something.
No comments:
Post a Comment