Wednesday, March 17, 2004

This morning in the shower I had an epiphany of sorts. This is notable because I do not usually have epiphanies in the shower. Come to think of it, I don't often have epiphanies. Anyway, I was humming the song "Mirror, Mirror" by the group Diamond Rio (country), and I was stumbling over this one line-- "Right until the moment that you all drove away." It has never made sense to me, because he's talking to the mirror on the wall (which is the only thing that his love left him when she moved out), and if "you all" drove away, then the mirror wouldn't be on the wall, would it? All of a sudden, I realized what it really says: "Right until the moment that U-haul drove away."

I have heard this song hundreds of times over the 10 or so years it has been released, and I have never been able to figure it out. Until this morning in the shower. Go figure.

Part of me feels smart for figuring it out on my own; the rest of me feels like a complete idiot.

No comments: