Monday, March 22, 2004

I'm at lunch right now, hungrily devouring a fried chicken wrap from the Oasis (these things are so amazingly good that I can't believe they come from a university-owned entitiy). I don't have much time to write, because I have to run home and check on the kitty for a few minutes, and still get back here before 1. No time for a full lunch hour today. But I did want to post a little about the weekend.

First of all, let me say that I am sick and tired of introducing myself, explaining where I'm from, and outlining my plans for the future. I am sick of meeting new people whose names I forget five minutes later. I am tired of feeling like I have to be "on" all the time. That said, it was an amazing experience. I met people I would probably never meet otherwise- people from Seattle, Los Angeles, San Diego, New York-- who have done amazing things (scientists, lawyers, photographers, even a reporter for the Los Angeles Times). I experienced new places and situations, and learned a little about myself in the process.

The interviews themselves were pretty painless. Some candidates told horror stories of the very specific questions they were asked, but most of my questions were straightforward and to be expected. One of my interviews was so relaxed that it didn't even feel like an interview. The other one was a little more tense, but still good. In both interviews, the first thing they mentioned was my connection to a Ph.D. graduate of the school (my communications professor from college- who got his Ph.D. there- wrote one of my letters of recommendation). I'm confident that knowing him doesn't hurt, but I feel that I deserve the fellowship anyway based on my own merit.

I don't know when I'll hear, but it will probably be within the next week or two. I'll let you know as soon as I find out! Until then, I will be slaving hard for the man and apologizing profusely to my Sprocky, who feels abandoned by my recent absence. He's such a spoiled baby.

Thanks for all your prayers and positive thoughts!

No comments: