Patience is a virtue I don't possess in abundance right now. It's been four days since my graduate school/fellowship interviews, and I've heard absolutely nothing. I check my e-mail repeatedly, and I've made more visits to the post office than I care to discuss. As Angela often reminds me, "A watched pot never boils," but that doesn't keep me from stalking it. This morning I was so excited when I opened my little metal box and saw a fat envelope. Unfortunately it was a false alarm. It was addressed to some man in Australia. Yes, Australia. And it ended up in my P.O. Box. You know what this means, don't you? My graduate school acceptance (or rejection, God forbid) letter is probably on its way to some remote area of Australia, and I'll never receive it. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but let's face it-- if our post office is delivering mail to me that is destined for Australia, it doesn't bode well for the fate of my coveted grad school letter.
Realistically speaking, it could be another week or two before I hear any news. I really don't think I will last that long, but we shall see. It's so hard when you want something so badly and you're pretty sure you're going to get it, but you can't celebrate yet because it would be premature.
Instead, I am stuck placing alumni notes in the Prospect and proofing really poorly-written news releases. If this is the rest of my life, I think I'll call in sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment