In honor of the current theme of this weblog, namely patience, I decided to bring my love of literature into the fray and dig up some quotes about patience.
"All things come round to him who will but wait."- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."- Ovid (On the off chance you can't read Latin, this says "Have patience and endure; this unhappiness will one day be beneficial.")
"Perhaps there is only one cardinal sin: impatience. Because of impatience we were driven out of Paradise, because of impatience we cannot return."- W.H. Auden
"There are times when God asks nothing of His children except silence, patience and tears."- C.S. Robinson
"Patience, n. -- A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue." Ambrose Bierce (Amen, Ambrose!)
"Beware the fury of a patient man."- John Dryden
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."- Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."- Jean Jacques Rousseau
Unfortunately, these words of reassurance do not help me much. Although you will be proud to know that I have resisted the urge to check my mailbox today.
If you haven't heard from me this week, and it's my turn to e-mail you, don't despair. I don't want to write unless I have good news, and I have no news to report except the news for which I am waiting. And I can do nothing but wait. Very patiently........
No comments:
Post a Comment