Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Today would have been Dr. Seuss's 100th birthday. I've been thinking about it all day. In honor of Dr. Seuss, today is Read Across America Day, and kids in schools all throughout the country probably learned about Seuss and maybe even heard a story he wrote, like The Cat in the Hat or Green Eggs and Ham.

I myself was never exposed as a child to Dr. Seuss and his writings. I have a ton of Little Golden Books and I adored the Care Bear story books, but somehow Seuss passed me by. You may be surprised at this, seeing as how I'm one of the biggest Seuss fans out there. The truth is that my obsession with the creator of the beloved Cat (not to be confused with the one portrayed by Mike Myers) and the lovable/hateable Grinch (don't think Jim Carrey) began when I was a senior in high school.

It came about because of a clearance rack. There was Grinch merchandise, including a red sweatshirt with the Grinch printed on the front. I loved the sweatshirt and thought it fit my personality, so I bought it. Besides, it was on clearance, and I can't pass up a good deal. From that followed a desire to read the book (I had seen the TV special before but never really paid much attention), and I was hooked. It was an obsession for me almost immediately.

In my speech class that year, Mr. Deans (our teacher) would occasionally make us do impromptu speeches. One day it was my turn and he gave me the topic "the Grinch." It was a moment of glory for me, torture for the rest of the class. I think I droned on for 10 minutes, relaying the entire story and including details about Cindy-Lou Who and every other character, including Max. A fond memory.

So from that sprung a desire to read other Seuss books. The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs & Ham, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, and Fox in Socks all became part of my library. I added more: The Butter Battle Book, I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew, The Lorax.

I became an avid collector. Figurines, bookends, sweatshirts, and fuzzy slippers. I started a collection of Christmas ornaments (I have over a hundred now). When I get down, I read a Seuss book. It's very reassuring.

And now, years after discovering a source of great pleasure and childhood reminiscence in my life, I'm sharing my Seuss story with you. On Dr. Seuss's birthday, in a weblog named after my favorite book of all.

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss.

No comments: